Kidnapping Crisis Sparks Emergency Meetings as Governors Scramble for Solutions

By: Abudu Olalekan

The 19 Northern governors have scheduled an emergency meeting for November 29, 2025, in Kaduna State. This isn’t just another political gathering. It’s a response to something that’s been brewing for too long, and now it’s boiling over.

It’s happening again.

Last week in Kebbi, gunmen stormed a girls’ school in Maga. Took 24 students. Killed the vice principal who tried to stop them. Few days later, Niger State – St. Mary’s Catholic school in Papiri. Over 300 children and teachers gone in minutes. Fifty managed to run back. The rest? Still missing.

Parents don’t sleep anymore. WhatsApp groups blow up at 2 a.m. with rumours. “They’re coming to our school next.” That’s the message doing rounds.

So governors are panicking – the good kind, hopefully.

The 19 Northern governors just fixed emergency talk for November 29 in Kaduna. No time for long grammar. Peter Ahemba, aide to Nasarawa governor, told Reportersroom on Monday: “Everybody is coming. Even the governor cut short his G20 trip in South Africa to land and face this thing.”

Down South-West, governors already met in Ibadan. Sanwo-Olu, Abiodun, Makinde, others sat down and said it loud: state police now, no more story. They’re tired of waiting for Abuja. They want their own security fund, live intelligence platform, everything. Even begged the federal government to send Forest Guards because those thick forests have become five-star hotels for bandits.

Meanwhile Bauchi just slammed every school shut – primary, secondary, even the Federal Polytechnic. Memo dropped Monday morning. Lectures off. Indefinite. The statement begged parents to “remain calm”. Calm. When your child might be next.

Gombe police are now sleeping around schools. Patrols doubled. Principals and CP held meeting yesterday, promising “rapid response” if anything smells wrong.

But rapid response didn’t save the vice principal in Kebbi. Didn’t save the watchman either. Speaker of the House showed up with N20 million for the dead man’s family and N10 million for the watchman’s. Nice gesture. Still doesn’t bring anybody back.

Governor Nasir Idris of Kebbi is angry. Real angry. Told the Speaker straight: “Armed men entered a school and left without one bullet from security. Explain that.” He’s begging President Tinubu to shake up the whole security system before it’s too late.

Up in Plateau, schools are closed too. Governor Mutfwang is cooking something big, his aide says, but “wait small, he’s still meeting security people.”

Kano governor just released 10 trucks and 50 bikes to the Joint Task Force. Anything to move faster than the bandits.

ASUU president is spitting fire. Called the bandits in the bush and the ones in “government houses and city mansions” the same people killing education – some with guns, others with pen and budget cuts.

Teachers’ union is threatening total shutdown in hot zones. “We can’t be teaching while waiting to be kidnapped,” their national president barked.

Amnesty International is shouting from Abuja: another generation about to lose school forever. Add this fear to the 12 million kids already out of school and you see the disaster coming.

Even the National Orientation Agency boss said it yesterday – we never built one Nigeria. Just tribes fighting tribes. That’s why we’re here.

In Borno, churches were full Monday night. Two hours of crying and singing in Maiduguri. Governor Zulum begged everybody to pray and fast. Christians in Plateau are planning five-day crusade next month. Jos Jesus Crusade. Because sometimes that’s all people have left.

Parents are asking one question tonight: when will my child go to school and come back the same day?

Nobody has the answer yet.

The Kaduna meeting is six days away. Six days is a long time when children are missing.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *