ISIS Commander Killed In Joint Nigeria-US Operation Linked To Dapchi Schoolgirls Abduction

By: Abudu Olalekan

Besides operating across borders, the militant showed ties to abductions in Nigeria’s northeast. Confirmation came after joint efforts by troops from two nations pieced together intelligence clues. Though hiding under false names, he was tracked through consistent surveillance work. With links to past violence, his role expanded during periods of regional instability. Following a raid near the Sambisa Forest, local soldiers moved quickly on site. Then U.S. officials backed the claim using separate verification channels. Prior reports placed him at the center of recruitment and planning activities. After years on watchlists, the outcome emerged from coordinated field actions. Despite limited public details, both governments acknowledged the result.

Midnight gunfire gave way to silence after Nigerian soldiers, backed by American units, took down Abu-Bilal al-Minuki – top-tier ISIS leader. News broke Saturday through Abuja’s Defence HQ, which called the outcome a turning point. Across Nigeria, militants now face deeper setbacks, especially in the Sahel where influence once spread fast.

Military spokesperson Major General Samaila Uba says al-Minuki played a role in multiple militant actions – among them, taking over 100 schoolgirls from Dapchi back in 2018. Leah Sharibu, captured during that incident, has not been freed even after all these years. That fact stings deeply. It lingers in the minds of countless Nigerians.

Later on Friday, ex-President Donald Trump posted about the operation using his Truth Social platform. The move came straight from him, according to his own words. Reportersroom previously shared details of that update. He described the effort as precise, built around careful steps. Planning took center stage in how he framed what happened.

Not your average fighter on the ground – that’s how officials described al-Minuki. Anything but typical, sources say he helped link ISIS efforts in far-flung areas. Spreading messages, moving money, building arms – his reach stretched wide. Drones too fell under his watch, part of a broader pattern of behind-the-scenes control.

Out in the region, fighters saw him linking ISIS activities well past Nigeria’s edges. Maybe now, with him gone, those running terror groups through West Africa and into the Sahel will find it harder to stay in step.

“There’s no doubt his removal creates a major setback for ISIS operations in the region,” the statement noted.

Reports point to al-Minuki possibly stepping into a senior role within ISIS worldwide operations. By early 2026, officials say, he likely took charge of the General Directorate of States. That shift would place him near the very top of the organization’s chain. His name now surfaces in discussions about key figures guiding the network across regions.

Once upon a time, al-Minuki held high rank within Boko Haram before any ISIS ties emerged. Following the 2015 pledge of loyalty, his path twisted sharply toward involvement with ISIS operations.

He was blamed by the army for organizing strikes on civilian groups, particularly those defined by faith or heritage throughout West Africa. Officials claimed that during 2015 up until 2016 began, his role included shifting combatants into Libya, feeding ISIS efforts in the northern part of the continent.

Some folks in the northeast feel more than just relief when they hear the news. Old wounds surface too, ones time didn’t fix. Quiet thoughts return instead of celebration.

Now things are moving faster between Nigeria and the U.S., says Defence HQ, thanks to sharper intel exchanges. Operations that once crawled now move together, aimed at networks crossing borders. With trust building slowly, missions hit harder when both sides act. Not long ago, delays ruled – today, timing lines up more often than not.

Still going, say officials, till every last rebel base and supply line gets taken apart – operations targeting terror cells won’t slow down. One step after another, they push forward, focused only on breaking what supports the fighters. Not stopping now, not anytime soon, because the work remains unfinished deep in hidden zones. Every route used to move weapons, every camp tucked away – it all must go, slowly erased through steady pressure. Only when nothing is left standing will this phase finally end.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *